July 11, 2023
SPLOST & LOST
- SPLOST and LOST revenue shown in the report dated June 30, 2023 reflect collections reported for May. For that period, SPLOST collections were $1,398,058 which is an $112,377.44 (11.61%) increase over the same period last year. LOST collections were $870,075.51 which is a $5,630.53 (0.92%) increase over the same period last year. Also, we are completing proposed resolutions for the 2024 SPLOST referendum to be considered in November. The BOC held a SPLOST planning session on Friday July 7.
CASH & INVESTMENT REPORT
- Is in your work session material. Gordon County remains in a strong economic position.
SIGNIFICANT PROJECTS & ACTIVITY
MAJOR ACCOMPLISHMENTS F/Y 2022-2023
- Updated Comprehensive Plan
- Balanced 2022-2023 budget
- 2024 SPLOST planning
- Capital Projects including: Renovations and construction underway or complete on the Courthouse, Administration Building, Wall Street Annex (Foremost Building), Public Works facility, Salacoa Concessions, Senior Center, Flood repair on Juvenile Court, Records Retention expansion, Evidence Building, Morgue, Sonoraville Tennis Courts, Brookshire Park, Health Department Maintenance/Storage Building.
- Acquired responsibility for Ranger due to an act of Congress.
LOOKING FORWARD TO F/Y 2023-2024
- Tax Digest Approved and millage rate to be set in September.
- Renovations and repairs to: Salacoa Bathhouses, Sugar Valley Community Center and Fire Station, Multi-purpose Agriculture Arena, West side sports field.
- Continue paving projects, road repairs.
- Broadband. Comcast must make substantial progress in this fiscal year.
- Continue to support over 20 departments, elected officials, and public agencies as approved in the budget.
- 1960s Courthouse: On schedule for completion in August 2023. Furniture is arriving.
- Administration Building: Renovation work has begun. Soffits have been replaced. Brick work is underway and roof replacement is expected in July and material is onsite.
- Public Works: Reviewed schematic designs (v1) on March 27th. Met with stakeholders on April 14, 2023 Reconstruction to occur on same site. Updated schematic is approximately 5200 sq ft
- Salacoa Park Buildings (Phase 1): Concession stand renovations are complete.
- Tennis Courts: The Tennis Courts project is underway.
- "Foremost Building": We have painted the exterior.
NEW COUNTY WEBSITE
- Transition from gordoncounty.org to gordoncounty.gov is underway.
- The Comprehensive plan is complete and Gordon County has retained its status as a Qualified Local Government.
- The Gordon County Development Authority met during the last week in June. The Gordon Floyd JDA meets in a called session tomorrow in Rome regarding a possible sale of a portion of that property.
- Michael Lackey has joined Jim Bradford in the Ordinance Enforcement Office. Officer Lackey comes to us from the Magistrate Court where he has served as a constable for several years. He is a POST certified officer and has been attending Ordinance Enforcement training and is a level two code enforcement officer. He is continuing his training and should receive his level three certification in March 2024.
KEITH KING MISC. ACTIVITY
- June 21, 2023 Worked with the new representative with GeoPermits
- June 22, 2023 Safety Committee Meeting
- June 26, 2023 Welcomed state area Tax Assessors to Gordon County (60+ people) and assisted with Assembly Room setup
- June 27, 2023 Development Authority Meeting
- June 27, 2023 Submitted the Budget to CVIOG
- June 27, 2023 Met with Derron Brown and City of Calhoun concerning homes with failed sewer pumps
- June 28, 2023 Met Dr. Fraker and Kendra Pannell at the Ranger Community Center
- June 28, 2023 Met with Momon Construction to review the work schedule of the Courthouse for July
- June 28, 2023 Drove Kathy Johnson and Nicole Lynn to Plainville to view ATCO facility
- June 29, 2023 Met with Development Authority, ATCO Rubber, and the City of Plainville
- June 30, 2023 Attended the Sheriff's Office Luncheon
- July 3, 2023 Cooked out BBQ for the Admin Team
- July 4, 2023 Attended the Star Spangled Celebration at the fairgrounds
- July 5, 2023 Met with the City of Calhoun concerning SPLOST
- July 6, 2023 Met with Motorola - Sales pitch for 800mhz Radio System
- July 7, 2023 BOC SPLOST Planning Session
- July 10, 2023 Sent SPLOST Intergovernmental Agreement to Resaca, Fairmount, and Plainville