October 4, 2022
SPLOST & LOST
- SPLOST and LOST revenue shown in the report dated September 30, 2022, reflect collections reported for August. For that period, SPLOST collections were $1,231,895.32 which is a $237,902.85 (18.03%) increase over the same period last year. LOST collections were $734,937 which is a $104,959 (12.1%) increase over the same period last year.
SALES RATIO APPEAL
- The Gordon County Tax Assessor's Office participated in the appeal of the State's Sales Ratio Study. According to the State, The fair market value of property in the 2021 Tax Digest should have been higher than the value set by the local Tax Assessor's office. Gordon County contends the State used next year sales numbers to set prior year values. About 60% of the counties in Georgia contend they have been affected by the State's flawed methodology in reaching inflated fair market values. We will expect a decision when all of the statewide appeals have been heard.
SIGNIFICANT PROJECTS & ACTIVITY
- Drywall installation continues and roof work is underway. The County has submitted a request to Calhoun to close Piedmont Street at the courthouse on October 19 for work on utilities servicing the building. Keith King continues to walk our stakeholders through the building to make sure the renovated space meets their needs to operate efficiently.
GOVERNMENT & COMMUNITY AFFAIRS
- This committee of the Chamber of Commerce held a qualified candidates' forum last night at the Sonoraville Rec.
- The last day to register to vote for the November 8, 2022 General Election is October 11, 2022. Early voting for the November 8, 2022, General Election will begin on Monday, October 17th - Friday, November 4th. Office hours are Monday through Friday from 8:30 am to 5 pm. We will have Saturday voting on: Saturday, October 22nd and Saturday, October 29th. All early voting and Saturday voting will be held in the Gordon County Board of Elections Office from 9 am until 5 pm, located at 408 Court Street, Calhoun, GA 30701.
SENIOR CENTER RENOVATIONS
- The SPLOST funded renovations to the senior center are continuing this month. We have a project meeting this Thursday. Hopefully, the renovations will be complete before Thanksgiving.
JOINT COMPREHENSIVE PLAN AMENDMENT
- Keith and I met with Paul Worley and Kyle Ellis last week to discuss the feasibility of impact fees and other issues of common interest to Calhoun and Gordon County. We will host a steering committee meeting later this week.
- Keith and I attended a ribbon cutting at Kenco Kerry's new 500,000 square foot distribution center. The construction on Trimble Hollow Road is scheduled to be complete at the end of this week. Planning for Project Pioneer located on Trimble Hollow Road and Highway 41 is underway for a major expansion of a manufacturing facility.
REDBONE RIDGES LANDFILL
- We have filed the 2022 remaining capacity report. This report prepared by an independent engineer estimates the remaining capacity of permitted space based on cubic yards of remaining volume, rate of tonnage received in the past year, and 3 year average density of the compacted waste. Based on this report, the remaining capacity of the permitted site is 31.6 years giving an estimated site completion date of August 2053